"The classic" with English subtitles was available on YouTube.com until about a week ago but they eliminated it. "The Classic," however, is one movie I suggest you not watch on YouTube because it contains one of the most beautiful soundtracks and stunning scenery of Korean countryside.
Yesasia used to carry the movie along with rave reviews from all over the world on its website, but I don't see it any more. Maybe it has run of the stock. My library system just north of Seattle carries several DVD copies of "The Classic" but it would not be any help to you.
I am a guy and don't cry easily over a movie, but several guys at the imdb.com say that they cried over the movie. Anyway, I regard it as one of the ten best Korean movies of the last decade or so.
All of Son Ye-jin's six movies were commercial success, which I think is quite a feat. I am going to give a brief note to each of them for your information, as I think at least four of them are worth your time and money.
1. "The Classic"(2003): One of the most beautiful Korean movies ever. Probably SYJ's best movie. Is it fate that the mother's tragic love affair bears fruit in her daughter's romance(both played by SYJ)? Also stars Cho Seung-woo("Marathon") and Jo In-sung("What happened in Bali?")
2. "A Moment to Remember"(2004): a Korean "Notebook" and a superior version, in my opinion. Heart-breaking story of a young married couple who suffer because of the wife's Alzheimer disease. Beautiful soundtrack. Also stars Jung Woo-sung("Musa"), who is arguably the most popular male star of Korea these days.
3. "Lovers' Concerto"(2002): Friendship and love between a young man and two maidens. What is the big secret of the two inseparable pretty girls and why do they disappear for five long years, leaving him in utter despair? Also stars Cha Tae-hyun("My Sassy Girl") and Lee Eun-joo(May she rest in peace.) My favorite LEJ film.
4. "April Snow"(2005): Love blossoms between spouses of two people who get into a traffic accident while carrying an illicit love affair. I love this movie although some people say it is slow and boring. Beautiful soundtrack. Also stars Bae Yong-joon("Winter Sonata.")
5. "Crazy First Love"(2003): Probably SYJ's worst movie. As usual, she is very lovely but Cha Tae-hyun(the male lead) is most clueless and clumsy in his attempt to claim her as his betrothed and his antics are sheer torture.
6. "The Art of Seductiuon"(2005): SYJ discards her usual persona and becomes a most playful seductress but her acting is not very convincing. Also stars Song Il-gook("The Emperor of the Sea.")
Hope the above helps while your are builing a Korean movie library.
I just watched "The Classic" yesterday for the first time. I ordered it from ebay. I agree that it is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. I cried like a baby at the end. I loved Son Ye-Jin in this movie even more than in "Summer Scent". Thanks for the list of her other movies I will try to get them, although I know it won't be easy.
Hi kiparang . . I have seen all SYJ you've mentioned except for nos. 3 to 5 though I have April Snow, but I have not watch it yet . . still busy. ;D I like her performance in all the movies that I've seen. The best movie for me is her "The Classic" i dont have to elaborate coz you described it well. We have the same opinion here.
Hi, Eun. Glad to hear that you enjoyed "The Classic" and other SYJ movies. I am pretty sure that you will enjoy "April Snow." too. Understandably, many(mostly female) viewers have been concerned mainly with Bae Yong-joon(the male lead), but it is my belief that SYJ actually carries the movie. ;D
Etengski, I really don't know whether SYJ speaks English or not. My suspicion is that probably she doesn't. I mean, not too well. Most Koreans are terribly afraid of expressing themselves in English although they have at least 6 years of English education during middle and high school days. It is because the emphasis in the English education in the past has been on the grammar and written English. However, I have heard that many stars have hired an English tutor to improve their speaking ability now that the Korean Wave is spreading far and wide. For all I know, SYJ may already have hired one.
I saw her latest pictures at the International Jewelry and Watch Fair 2006, oh my God she's so sexy especially in her black sleeveless and mini skirt dress. What a beautiful legs and cleavage. For curiosity sake, does she have a boyfriend? Is there any possibility of SYJ visiting the Philippines?. Thanks and more power!
Man, I don't understand your taste in women. I find SYJ sexy as hell because of her sweet and chaste persona. I find her in prim dress (as in the haunted house scene in "The Classic") and her in blue jean (as in some scenes of "Summer Scent") far sexier than all the Holywood beauties with "beautiful legs and cleavage."
I don't think she has got a boyfriend. Most Korean female stars seem to think that it is a career suicide. Anyway, they are too busy with shooting schedules and endorsement deals, which bring them anywhere between two million and ten million US dollars per year(top stars like SYJ, Choi Ji-woo and Lee Young-ae.)
As for possibility of her visit to the Phillipines, it's not likely in the near future. Right now she is simply too busy to visit other countries where she is relatively unknown. The only exception is Japan where she is getting big with two very successful movies, and where she has been offered lucrative endorsement deals.
According to the latest poll(about two weeks ago), Son Ye-jin is now the most popular actress in Korea now. She is just 24. She is followed by Im Su-jeong("A Tale of Two Sisters"), Moon Geun-young(who was a child actress in "Autumn in My Heart" and has starred in various hit movies.) and Jeon Do-yon("Love Story in Prague.")
Just would like to share this to anyone who like SYJ . . dated 11/27/06
Actress Son Ye-jin has received her first best actress award at the Asia-Pacific Film Festival, which was held in Taipei, Taiwan, for her role in the movie "April Snow".
A person from Son's agency said the actress was overwhelmed with happiness to be honored with the award, and that even the agency did not know that "April Snow" was invited to the festival. He added that the award was even more meaningless because the movie was filmed in cold winter weather and included many "teary" scenes..
Son acts opposite actor Bae Yong-joon in "April Snow", where she plays a woman who falls in love with another man while nursing her husband, who gets into a car accident with his mistress.
Source : english.kbs.co.kr... ( English )
Idol Kiparang I know you will be proud for SYJ's accomplishment . .